Email Online, the new cloud-based service for Government email, is now being rolled out to Government as part of the multi-year Office 365 project.
Multi-factor authentication prompts you to submit a code that has been sent to one of your devices, confirming your identity for greater security of yours and government's data.
You will need to register for multi-factor authentication if you have not done it already, and you intend to use Office 365 software (such as OneDrive and Exchange Email Online) on any of the following:
- a personal mobile device app or browser;
- a government mobile device app or browser;
- a government device not connected to the government network; or
- a non-government device.
You may have already registered for multi-factor authentication when Exchange Online launched in your ministry. If not, you can follow these instructions to register for multi-factor authentication.
As you know, the Government of Saskatchewan is in the process of implementing Microsoft Office 365 to create a new connected digital workplace where government employees securely work, collaborate and communicate from any device, anywhere, anytime.
The first step began in 2018, with the transition of email to the Exchange Online platform. To complete this step, Central Services will be migrating archived email (saved as ".pst" files in L: Drives) into the cloud. Users will now be able to access archived email directly from an "Online Archive" folder in their Exchange Online email inbox.
- This change will impact about 7,000 employees who have worked for government for four years or more, who likely have older archived email that will be migrated.
- Employees who have worked for government for less than four years, likely already have access to archived email in their Online Archive folder, and won't be affected.
Migrations will be scheduled ministry by ministry from April to December 2020, and will occur over weekends, to ensure the least disruption. Users will be notified directly by email (through your ministry Service Level Coordinator) about a week in advance of the migration date with details and specific instructions.
For more information about archived emails, check out the questions and answers document.
Moving email to the cloud has a number of benefits to you as a user, which include:
Email Online has a number of benefits to you as a user, which include:
- the ability to email larger files;
- increased mailbox sizes;
- enhanced security;
- more sustainable email service; and
- the ability to access email anywhere, anytime.